Thursday, February 15, 2024

Embracing Sustainability and Heartfelt Gestures

I had the opportunity to participate in the "Recycle Dat" Initiative in collaboration with The City of New Orleans and The Green Project. The initiative aimed to enhance the sustainability of Mardi Gras by keeping the streets clean and reducing waste. Our focus was collecting beads, aluminum cans, and glass bottles. Not only did I get to experience my first mardi gras parade, but the collaboration between the local organizations and volunteers surpassed the collective commitment to creating a cleaner and more sustainable time of the month.

I also had the oppporuntity to make Valentine's Day cards for senior citizens in nursing homes, which was such a heartwarming experience. It felt like I was a kid again, getting creative with markers and crayons. Knowing that these cards would bring smiles to people's faces on such a special day made it all the more meaningful!

Hours: 4 + 1 (senior citizen Vday cards) = 5
Total Spring semester hours: 11
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
February flew by, granted we had our one week long Mardi gras break, which, admittedly, I utilized to dive into studying for our final cumulative and the MCAT, but wow, the speed of this semester has caught me completely off guard, time seems to be sprinting ahead. I managed to complete three out of six presentations with confidence so far and am steadily honing my skills in dissecting scientific journals, a development I am so grateful for. 

We just concluded our recent dive into the neuropharmacology block. Going over diseases that impact millions of families like Alzheimer's and epilepsy, was truly eye-opening and reminded me to appreciate the intricate workings of my own cells. However, amidst this reflection, I am grateful for the depth of knowledge we've gained on these topics and on the drugs that are available for their treatment. 

Immediately after learning about stress and its nasty side effects, my stress levels were sky high for the month of February, it just feels like theres not enough time in the day!! For example, studying for the MCAT while trying stay on top of school work and presentations has been... an adjustment, but nevertheless, I've devised a system that seems to be working, and I'm optimistic that we'll navigate through March with confidence, and hopefully... with less stress. Next month we enter Psych pharm and Im excited, especially considering its relevance to the psychology section of the MCAT. It'll serve as a valuable refresher. As February comes to a close, I'm struck of how far we've already come, its honestly been journey of growth and discovery. As we transition into March, I'm eager to tackle the challenges ahead. Here's to facing the next chapter head-on and embracing the opportunities it brings :) 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Mastering Pharmacology: Closing the Book on a Year of Growth

This month, I had the opportunity to serve as a food pantry delivery driver, thanks to bringing my car down here from Miami. Although I'...