Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Prepared to tackle the challenges of the Spring!

This month, I had the privilege of volunteering with the Catholic Charities Immigrant and Refugee Services' Family Literacy Program. As a volunteer, my role was primarily that of a tutor. I worked one-on-one or in small groups to assist in learning English. Volunteering in this capacity allowed me to connect with the migrant community more individually and personally. I remember when I was in kindergarten and didn't understand the language but thankfully was equipped with such great support at my school at the time, I was able to learn English by 1st grade. Likewise with these individuals, thankfully to this program. It was a really rewarding experience to contribute to their journey of integration and empowerment in the local community.

Hours: 6 (in 3 days) 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the blink of an eye, were already back from winter break. Just like that before I know it, my classmates and I will be graduating soon, something I look immensely towards to but with a saddened heart at the same time. January, wow, my birthday month, trying to organize and get the feel for this new semester, completing service hours, and preparing for medical school admissions and graduate programs... talk about chaos! We started the semester off strong with the Endocrine (insulin) and Reproductive (FSh/LH/estrogen) modules, something Ive always learned about being a pre-med but never really took the time to understand the depths of them until now. Diabesity trends have increasingly gone up in the past 15 years so I am thrilled to be so knowledgeable on it. Knowledge is power, right? On a different note, whew! 6 presentations this semester. Ironically, we are learning about stress and how detrimental it could be to our health chronically.. well this semester screams stress!! But hey, every cloud has a silver lining—I'm already feeling more confident about giving presentations and deciphering those lengthy scientific manuscripts. Despite the chaos, I'm incredibly grateful for this program. Even amidst the MCAT prep madness, key concepts and terms we have gone over keep popping up in my studies. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Mastering Pharmacology: Closing the Book on a Year of Growth

This month, I had the opportunity to serve as a food pantry delivery driver, thanks to bringing my car down here from Miami. Although I'...